Wednesday, September 28, 2016
Sunday, September 25, 2016
One Tuesday, when David and I were having time by ourselves while Cora was at preschool we had finished our math and reading for the day and I decided to make a spur of the moment trip to Focus on the Family. We had been listening to their radio theater production of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and I wanted David to get to experience the Narnia room there with the wardrobe.
When we walked into the building they told us that unfortunately the slide wasn't open that day because they were short staffed. We went and enjoyed the Narnia room and a few of the other activity areas. Right as we were about to leave they came over the PA system and announced that the slide would be open for a short time!
David had patiently waited as his same age cousin shot up in height ahead of him and was able to ride. We went to measure him that day and he looked right on the line to me. I was hoping that the workers thought right on the line was tall enough as well.
Sure enough we climbed the three flights of stairs and they pronounced him good to go! He was so excited!
He went by himself the first time and then I asked if grown-ups are allowed to go too and they said "yes!" so we both went down the second time! It was a lot of fun!!
Have you ever visited the Focus on the Family visitor's center?
Sunday, September 11, 2016
We had a little family carnival yesterday at one of our favorite parks. At the end we had a "cake walk" with Andes mint cupcakes and spice cupcakes with maple cream cheese pecan frosting and Honeycrisp apples (for those who were choosing healthy eating) up for grabs. It was a fun time!
What did you do this weekend?
Posted by Miss G at 10:14 PM
Saturday, September 10, 2016
Things I want to remember about this time:
1. Whatever David and I are doing for school, Cora wants to be in the thick of it. As he was practicing writing numerals and completing patterns of numbers (counting by twos, evens and odds, even backwards!) she was drawing on the big easel pad. She would say "one" and draw a line segment, then she would say "two" and draw another line segment connected to the first and she kept on until she had an interesting shape with several sides! David really wanted her to close the shape by connecting the lines at the opening so finally she did.
2. I have found a math curriculum that I am really liking so far. The Critical Thinking Company's Mathematical Reasoning. So far we have a copy through Inter-Library Loan (love that service!!!) and we are laying a transparency over the student pages for him to complete with a marker so we don't mark in the book. I am hoping to find a good used copy by the time we have to return this one!
3. Cora picked out this outfit herself and I love that she is interested in matching! (although mis-matched outfits can be awfully cute too)
4. Hooray for bare piggy toes and messy buns and paint on our ankles from lots of creativity.
5. Noticing the brain quest cards in the corner from David's and my after school date to Chick-fil-a to share a 4 piece nugget kids' meal (David is still so jazzed to be able to eat the dairy nuggets - the original breaded ones as opposed to the grilled!)
What is your favorite thing to order at Chick-fil-a?
Are you sad about the disappearance of the spicy chicken biscuit on their breakfast menu?
Posted by Miss G at 6:03 PM
Wednesday, September 7, 2016
"Because in the end, the point of home in all its fullness - the point of good meals, full cupboards, or ordered rooms - is not just to provide creaturely comfort or to prove some sort of competence. The point of home is to be a refuge for the soul, a place where beauty can be encountered, truth told, goodness touched and known. It's why home needs hush as well as bustle, silence as well as song." ~ Sarah Clarkson, The Life Giving Home
Posted by Miss G at 4:08 PM
nifty bloggers I wish I knew in person
Friends in the Big D
Harding University in Florence Spring of '97
- ▼ September (7)
- ► 2015 (41)
- ► 2014 (45)
- ► 2013 (136)
- ► 2012 (144)
- ► 2011 (181)
- ► 2010 (191)
- ► 2009 (226)
- ► 2008 (170)
31 days 7 Alaska antiques autumn Bible verse bicycles birthdays blogging boys cake topper California celebration Chicago Christmas Colorado colors cousins craft cupcakes Dallas friends date decorating DIY Wedding engagement fall family foodie garden gift giving girls God Harding friends home making house Houston friends ice cream in the kitchen Jesus life lesson Literary Pursuits little one Missouri friends nephew new newlyweds organizing the chaos of life our church our wedding parties patriotism pinterest Pittsburgh pumpkins recipe restaurant school sewing shopping snow song spring state plates summer talking to God ten on ten thankful thrift toddler activities toys travel Valentines vintage wedding planning weddings wildlife winter You've Got Mail