Monday, December 24, 2007

Lesson Learned from a Child


Today I had the wonderful privilege of hanging out with my brother and my nephew. Can I say that being an aunt is the greatest thing??? We did a little Christmas shopping and one of the stores we went into had mobiles and kites on the ceiling in different places. Every time Caleb would spot one his eyes would rivet to the ceiling and he would just be enthralled and filled with joy! It was so much fun to watch. After I got home and I was spending some time with God and thanking Him for the blessings of my day, I realized a lesson that I could learn from this sweet little one. It wasn't that the colorful things on the ceiling were the absolute end-all, be-all in Caleb's world and that those things are the only things that would make him so joyful. It was that Caleb chose to be absolutely joy-filled and enthralled in the moment he was in, with his surroundings in that moment.

Similarly, as we celebrate the birth of Jesus, the surroundings that He, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords found Himself in upon entering this earthly world, certainly weren't the end-all, be-all from many viewpoints but His being in them made them joy-filled and enthralling for us all of these years later!

Merry Christmas! May you have the joy of a child not only on this holiday but throughout each and every mundane and not so mundane day of the year to come!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

ghHey Kelly. I was just thinking and talking about you yesterday b/c I went to Paciugo with some friends and told them about my HUF friend Kelly that introduced me to that place. Can you believe how many there are now? Like on every corner! Anyway, I didn't know your brother had a baby and he is adorable! And you have a boyfriend in Pittsburgh? Do tell! Anyway, I would love to see you sometime. Maybe we can do a little Paciugo! I have a little 2 month old girl and a 2 year old boy. I learn lessons every day. The best thing is just remembering how it's the little things that count..like hugs and elmo :) Hope to hear from you soon! Ashley