Monday, December 8, 2008

everyday unwrapped




This week I purposed to notice.  

last Tuesday I directed you to emily's blog

i read her post on monday and God has used her writing to help me to think and to notice this week.  it was good to have a "mission".  it helped me to be more present and to pay attention to what i was noticing in different moments than i probably would have been.

on monday i noticed the contented feeling i had in my car while driving home from work

i noticed leaves drifting down from tall, tall trees

on tuesday i noticed my friend from high school sitting across from me at dinner at La Madeleine

i mean i really noticed her and the fact that we were sitting there

together

sharing

talking

laughing

and for a moment the air was charged with a bit more warmth and zing

"this doesn't happen everyday"

"this is a blessing"

"take notice"

"be grateful"

on wednesday  i noticed that even though i'd been feeling some spiritual dryness and felt like i was having a hard time communing with Him, that in our worship service i was smiling, feeling, praising, knowing victory

also on wednesday i noticed that there were nearly twenty kindergarteners looking joyfully at me singing the song i'd just taught them 

classes of twenty some odd children look back at me five days out of the week but after ten years has it just become routine?  do i notice their faces, their smiles, the light in their eyes?

i noticed on wednesday

thursday i purposed to relax and enjoy a meeting

a meeting?

yes, a meeting, why not enjoy a meeting if you have to go?

friday i noticed how it felt to hold my husband's hand

it felt good

saturday i left space

emily talked about this too a little while ago

i left space so that i could have the energy and presence of mind to keep noticing

i didn't say yes to everything

i didn't leave the house all day

ALL DAY

today i decided to iron an apron to wear while making cookies for our church Christmas party tonight





why not decide to celebrate something small?

have you noticed anything this week?

are you frazzled or experiencing some peace during this season?  

God's blessings on you and yours.





*** does this post mean i have had a blissfully serene week?  no, a splitting headache, crying over the house being a mess, etc. have been a part of my week, but what are we going to notice?  kelly



14 comments:

The Nester said...

Oh this was great Kelly!

I love all the things you noticed and the over all feeling of contentment you had. I felt the same way! It was such a great week for me noticing and appreciating nature and food and clean laundry--even dirty laundry.

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

What a lovely post, Kelly. Noticing is good, isn't it?! Loved your photos... you're so cute.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Oh - such a great post...space and time to notice and relish in the little things.

emily freeman said...

This post was beautiful and perfect. Thank you for noticing, slowing down, and celebrating the small. And most of all, thank you for sharing these lovely words with us. I give you a standing ovation!

EEEEMommy said...

How much we notice when we purpose to do so! I've felt the same way since reading Emily's post last week! Thanks for sharing! You look adorable in your apron! :)

Anonymous said...

This is such a beautiful reminder. Thank you for noticing-- and for sharing!

Ashley said...

Sometimes I feel like I am missing the best parts of my day with Noah because I am preoccupied with things that need to be done......these posts have helped me to stop and think.:)
Thanks also for introducing us to Chattering with the sky. I have really enjoyed her writings...and even added her to my blog list!

a boy a girl and a pug said...

what a great post! your apron is just adorable.

Jacquie said...

Thank you for your sweet thoughts. Why don't we notice those things. I spent too much time complaining these past couple of days and for what? I am noticing that I love the piece of chocolate fudge I just ate :).

Karen said...

I have noticed in your last few posts that you are very poetic! I not only enjoy reading them for the content, but for the aesthetic quality.

Sandy said...

Yay for wearing an apron - love this post! :) you are too cute ...

Anonymous said...

Thank you for being so transparent!!! I love it!!

RS in Nashville, TN

Leslie said...

fantastic post Kelly... thanks for sharing...

sometimes its the only the little moments that keep us sane.. and sometimes thats ok.

*Just Jen* said...

Great post! I cried over a messy house Sunday as well. LOL Happy Holidays!