Saturday, April 23, 2011

tulip cradles


"When we reached home we found that Miss Reade had been up to the hill farm on an errand and was just leaving. The Story Girl went for a walk with her and came back with an important expression on her face.

"You look as if you had a story to tell," said Felix.

"One is growing. It isn't a whole story yet," answered the Story Girl mysteriously.

"What is it?" asked Cecily.

"I can't tell you till it's fully grown," said the Story Girl. "But I'll tell you a pretty little story the Awkward Man told us-- told me--tonight. He was walking in his garden as we went by, looking at his tulip beds. His tulips are up ever so much higher than ours, and I asked him how he managed to coax them along so early. And he said HE didn't do it--it was all the work of the pixies who lived in the woods across the brook. There were more pixy babies than usual this spring, and the mothers were in a hurry for the cradles. The tulips are the pixy babies' cradles, it seems. The mother pixies come out of the woods at twilight and rock their tiny little brown babies to sleep in the tulip cups. That is the reason why tulip blooms last so much longer than other blossoms. The pixy babies must have a cradle until they are grown up. They grow very fast, you see, and the Awkward Man says on a spring evening, when the tulips are out, you can hear the sweetest, softest, clearest, fairy music in his garden, and it is the pixy folk singing as they rock the pixy babies to sleep."


from The Golden Road

by Lucy Maud Montgomery


photo by Adrian

3 comments:

Karen said...

I LOVE this! I will never look at my tulips again without listening for the music.

Sarah B said...

What a great quote! You know I love LM Montgomery but I think I only read The Story Girl and Golden Road once. I have no problem with things I see in life reminding me of something I read once in a book (instead of the other way around) :) (You've got mail)

BrendaBee76 said...

That is an amazing picture. Adrian has officially 'wowed' me with his mad photography skills.