Thursday, December 29, 2011

since last we spoke . . .


We had a wonderful Christmas holiday!

{note: I totally stole this Christmas decorating idea from my friend Emily several years ago but I love it!}






Christmas Eve was a very relaxing, hang around the house, greet family and neighbors who came over and kind of finish up some things like a half finished crafty project and adding a few more decorations.



Then we went to a nice Christmas Eve service with my parents.

David LOVED the candles at the end!



He also loved the cherry sour candy that I gave him from the heavily laden dessert tables set up in the foyer.


See that handsome white collared shirt peeking out from his sweater?

Unfortunately it now has pink candy stains on it.

Should I try bleach?


Unfortunately I didn't do quite enough "finishing" up during the day because that evening it was a baking and wrapping marathon after David was in bed and we were completely wiped out by the time we collapsed into bed.



Christmas morning we started what I think will become a new tradition. I kind of adapted an idea I read about here. We put David's stocking by his door.


When he woke up (at 8 a.m.! It was glorious!!) we told him merry Christmas and showed him and pointed out the stocking. It literally took him about three tries before he was quite confidently and enthusiastically saying "tocking! tocking!"


He loved it!

My grandma, Sweetie, used to always put some bubble wrap in our stockings for us to have the fun of popping. Since David likes the "pop" game on my mom's iPad so much, I decided to put some in for him too.



We opened some presents but learned that 20 month olds would rather just get on with the playing so we saved about half till after dinner on Boxing Day which was fun too.



Question: do any of you moms out there get a shower before noon on Christmas day? I think I would do better if I could get showered and dressed earlier but does that really happen with kids on Christmas morning? I'd love to hear your take.


My parents came over for brunch and we had those super yummy Hawaiian roll ham sandwiches that we were introduced to at more than one friend's house in Dallas. Our recipe is very similar to this.




We had a very white Christmas! So very different for me.

We had Christmas dinner at my parents and opened presents but I don't have those photos loaded yet.

And since then we've been trying to recuperate from all the excitement




stepping over toys

and working on the remodel.

Adrian has been doing a TON!! Building, painting, etc.

I have helped out some during nap time and after David's in bed.

Today I did this:







I'm pretty excited about it.

What have you been up to these past several days?

Kelly


3 comments:

Heather said...

Sounds like you had a fun Christmas! About the shower, I get a shower everyday because I make it a point to be up and mostly out of the shower before Emily gets up. On Christmas day, we made her wait to go see if Santa came until after we were both dressed and ready for church. She was fine to wait this year, but I have a feeling she might be a bit more excited to go check next year. We'll probably still have the rule that Mommy & Papa have to be dressed & ready. (My parents always did that too).

Sandi said...

I love all your decorations! Super cute.
I haven't been a mom long enough to have an opinion on the shower thing...at this point i'm just lucky if I get one at all!
Happy New Year!

Kori said...

Some days I know it's my only hope to shower the night before. I much prefer mornings, but sometimes night is the only thing that makes it happen!
No bleach. It could discolor the white! I use oxy clean all the time. Biz works too - they are almost exactly the same. Use whatever regular stain remove you have and add some oxy clean to the water. Use as cool water as possible (stains don't set in cold). If it doesn't come out, retreat and try again. If it still isn't out then make a paste of oxy and water and rub it onto the stain kind of thick. Let it sit a bit and then get a bucket or tub and mix oxy with water and let the shirt soak for up to 48 hours. GIve it enough time and you can get anything out. :-) I got out purple sharpie once from a turquoise floral pair of 24 month capris. :-) My mom used to put lemon juice on stains and set them in the sun, but again I would be concerned about discoloring the white. I would save lemon juice or bleach for the last options once deciding the shirt may be ruined anyway - which is a long way out!