Tuesday, October 10, 2017

ten on ten - October 2017


waking up with braids!  

asking to read Brambly Hedge first thing and being able to "read" it from memory rather well from having listened to the audio book 


new to us candle holder fashioned out of a "something" picked up at an estate sale last spring.  toast and pears, almonds and quiche, blackberries and cheese for breakfast while we learn about I Chronicles, read Bernadette Watts' Will You Be My Friend? and a poem by Longfellow (my current interest) 


sweet breakfast prayer time (after the fact)


unplanned part of our school day - they wanted to sew Halloween costumes for their stuffed animals and babies!  


another unplanned tangent that was so much fun - We read Little Melba and Her Big Trombone last week and my kids were super into it.  So this week we read Duke Ellington:  The Piano Prince and His Orchestra that I used to read all the time to my students in my classroom and Sugar Hill: Harlem's Historic Neighborhood.  After reading them I thought I'd just turn on a Duke Ellington song and we'd have a little dance party but they decided to get out nearly all of our instruments and go to town!  I loved it!  We listened to nearly all the Duke Ellington songs in my Itunes library while we improvised!






After lunch we went on a leaf walk, practiced balance bike riding and scooter navigating on the hills while we picked up leaves and tried to identify them from the pictures in Leaf Jumpers which we read last night.  

Then I finally painted the trim around the bathroom door while listening to podcasts about teaching history :) and the kids "started a business" of clearing yards and sidewalks of leaves.  

It has been a good day.  Hope yours has been too!  

Kelly

3 comments:

Kimmie said...

When you say "Thank you for the food" after the fact, you know it is genuine!

the Whitelaws said...

A great day!

Melissa said...

Leaf cleaning business!? Smart kids!!