Saturday, April 19, 2008

DIY Wedding - birdcage


One of the neat things about visiting different venues to choose one for our wedding and reception was that we learned at least one thing from each place, even the ones that we didn't choose for our wedding. The take away from a downtown venue that we liked was that many people are using birdcages to hold the cards on the gift table these days. I liked the idea and began keeping an eye out for one.

I had actually been keeping an eye out for birdcages for over a year now because they're rather "in" but that means they can also be "more than Kelly wants to pay". As my mom and I were shopping last weekend she was great at spotting them and calling my attention to them. We saw ones priced in the $20s, $30s and even over $100 (it did have a cool stand but really!?). Then there was this one!! Ten dollars and it even has a heart! I think I'll probably paint it robin's egg blue and tie a nice orange bow on top. Adrian's also going to cut a few of the bars for me so cards will fit in. What do you think? Kelly

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

Fun! Ryan and Kasidy used a birdcage for cards at their wedding and it worked ok. People didn't really know what to do with it. I suggest someone standing with it to tell them to put the cards in it, or a sign to tell them to put the cards in it. Even though it was right by the gift table, people still insisted on putting their cards on a table instead of in the birdcage. It looked really good though!

Jenni said...

how fun is that?! can't wait to see your transformation of the cage for the wedding....a

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

I love it! What a cute, cute, beautiful idea... a card holder! I never would've come up with that but it's perfect. And you got a great deal on your's too.

Karen said...

Another thing that you might want to do is "Plant" some fake gift envelopes in the birdcage so that people, even the first ones there, will know what it is for. I do that with doorprize holders, (gift sacks, boxes, etc.) so that people will knw where to place their door prize slips. Works like a charm!