Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Travel Tuesday - we went camping!


Thank you so much for all of your wonderful comments and please keep them coming!

So many of you had such great things to say that we will have to continue to incorporate into our camping experience.


We went on our first camping trip together this past Sunday. We just went for one night. Adrian had one day off for spring break and we're just breaking in easy. :)
It was still gray and a little chilly early in the day but after lunch the sun came out and the weather was beautiful! The campsites were nice, right on a lake. There were a few others there but not too many which was nice. We all had some space.
Is it just me and my sweet tooth or does this rock holding down the tarp look exactly like a yummy chocolate chip cookie on top of a delectable brownie? hmmm . . . back to camping

My man set up our new tent!


I thought just for fun I'd count how many baby wipes I used on the trip. I lost count. :)
This is my new chair! I guess I didn't ever get a full picture of it but you can see a little more in the next photo. It has a foot rest. :) I love that about it. It also has this neat little zipper pocket. I said that it is a blogger's camping chair. My camera was always handy. :)

Adrian made some WONDERFUL beef stew for our dinner! He prepped everything at home and then cooked it over the campfire! um, yum!

I love this "action shot" of the stew being stirred.


Inside the tent!
We camp in style.
Seasoning the stew
These started out as just ordinary canned Wal-mart brand biscuits . . .

Do you know what these are?




I got this idea from my kids at school.


Kids are very smart, you know.




glowsticks!!!

We threw them up in the air and watched them spin around and hung them up for a nice little glowing light.
Those plain canned biscuits turned into the most amazing "fry biscuits" that tasted wonderful with our stew.

a few smores with gourmet French chocolate later . . .

(French chocolates a gift from Adrian's parents that we had on hand)

and it was time to hit the sack . . .


the next morning we woke up to another beautiful day!
So . . .

what you've all been waiting for . . .


Did I like it?

Well, yes, mostly. This is something that I want to share with Adrian so I'm just going to keep plugging away until I learn it. I liked Mindy's comment on the last post, that camping takes practice, that you learn, that the first time may not be perfect and that's alright.

Here's what I liked:
1. just sitting and reading in the great outdoors
2. hearing the lake water lapping at the shore
3. seeing the beautiful stars in the inky night sky
4. feathering our nest, be it for one night
5. being with my husband and watching him love camping
6. eating my husband's delicious campfire food
7. being pampered since camp work is man work in my man's book :)
8. not having the "pull" of ordinary life (laundry, etc.) and feeling like I had more time to do my Bible study, read, pray, etc.



What I'd like to find a way to make better:
1. our organization/staying packed for camping for the future so it doesn't take so much time/effort each time (I've got some ideas but would be happy for any you have)

2. the bathroom situation - I skimped on drinking because I didn't want to have to trek to the bathroom and use the one that really wasn't horrible but wasn't that great either. hmm . . .

3. I learned that it's no use just pretending you're just as clean as when you got there and putting off any "beautifying measures" until you get home and take a shower. I should take a real washcloth and at least pour some water on it and wash my face and put on a little mascara or something easy and put in my contacts. Maybe put some baby powder in my hair and brush it out? I like your idea Tawn about washing up. I'll have to do that next time. (good to hear from you by the way!) We did brush our teeth. :)

The stress of the unknown is already out of the way because now I know a little about how camping works so I'll know better how to approach it. Kelly

p.s. do any of you have a camping checklist you use? I'd love to see a copy if you'd like to share. Thanks!

3 comments:

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

The glow sticks, what fun!

I would say that you did great for your first campout. The most important thing is that you are learning to enjoy something that your husband loves.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you had fun and that the weather was good. You have gotten me really in the mood to go camping now. :-) It is a whole different world though with two little ones to keep track of.

We usually keep two Rubbermaid tubs with all of our camping supplies. One holds our bedding and towels. The other holds our camping dishes and cooking supplies. Then when it comes time to go we just have to pack our clothes and the cooler of food.

Mindy S.

Tawn said...

Growing up my family went tent camping for two weeks at a time in Colorado, absolutely loved it, but found that the cleaning up is vital to being able to make it more than a weekend camping. So I would take a wash cloth and if you have a tea kettle of some sort you can put on the fire to warm water in. That makes it very easy to wash hair. My mom and I always washed faces and teeth everyday and wore a bit of make-up. Hair got washed every other day.

As far as a list, I bought big plastic tubs and always keep my camping pots, pans, table cloths, rope, etc. in them. So they are mostly always packed. I usually keep some paper goods, plastic cutlery, and cups in there as well. I do have to take stock each time to be sure I've got enough of what I need, but its easiest just to keep the camping stuff separate.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. You do learn as you continue to go and find new things that work or don't work each time.