Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Travel Tuesday - road trip games

What are your favorite road trip games?  

My mom and I always like to play the license plate game.  You know, you see how many different state's license plates you can see on one trip?  I think we may have gotten in the 40s once!  Of course to keep track, I have to sing the song "Fifty Nifty United States".  Did you learn that song in elementary school?  I didn't learn it until I started teaching but I love being able to "recite" all fifty states in alphabetical order.  

Adrian and I once play "Would you rather . . .?"  when we can't think of anything else.  Road trips are good talking times and together times.  

Did you take a road trip over the holidays?  Where did you go?  Share a link to your post with us if you have one.  

photos from our road trip from Columbus, Ohio to Pittsburgh back in August  
It was cheaper to fly into Columbus and rent a car than to fly into Pittsburgh.  Craziness.  

3 comments:

Karen said...

When I was little, my family would always play the gas station game. Each child would pick a different gas station and then we would see who could see the most. My little sister was the "baby" so she got "coca cola" instead of a gas station and she would always win because every gas station had a coke machine out front. That's still a family joke. When our kids were little, we played the alphabet game. You started with "A" and someone had to see a word in print, on a billboard, etc. that started with an "A". You then went on to "B" etc. Lots of fun!

Ashley said...

That's funny you mentioned the license plate game because Cary and I played it over the holidays on our 8 1/2 hour drive! The only problem with the game is when the interstate is shut down for several hours and your stuck behind the same dude from Ohio!

BR said...

Kelly,
Good to hear from you! Our latest favorite car game (especially with kids) is called, SNAPS. Have you ever played it? It's a word game with a little secret code. Its cute. One person calls out the riddle while the others figure it out. Once someone guesses the answer to the riddle everyone sings, "Snaps is the name of the game, the name of the game is snaps!" We learned about the game from the movie, P.S. I love you.

I am also proud to say that when I was 18 years old I WON the license plate game in one road trip!! It was AWESOME. It really was! I drove with Bob and Laura Lawrence from Searcy, Arkansas to Anchorage, Alaska and Hawaii was the last plate to find and we had pretty much given up hope, but we had enjoyed playing none-the-less. It was crazy - we were IN Anchorage, our final destination, at a stop light, and there was a Hawaii plate staring us right in the face directly in front of us. We could NOT believe it. At first we were in disbelief and then we all started screaming and laughing! Love it!!

That was a fun road trip. The start of an amazing summer after my freshman year at Harding when I went on a 3 week canoe trip with my brothers on the Yukon River from Canada to Alaska. Hard to believe that was 14 years ago already.

Love you!
Betty