Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Processing 7 by Jen Hatmaker - day 2

So I told you yesterday that I was WAY down on the library hold list for the book 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess by Jen Hatmaker.  

I would log on to my account every once in a while and watch the number climb downwards.  

11, 9, 5, 4, 1

Finally I got an e-mail notice that the book was mine!

It was the beginning of June and we would be going near the library that night on the way to VBS at our church so we stopped to pick it up then.  I was so excited to read it that I was cracking it up in the parking lot on my way to my car.  

I joked with Adrian that I might have to smuggle it in with me to read instead of listening to the speaker.  :)  

I didn't but did start reading it that night when we got home.  

Jen is a very funny writer and I would laugh out loud at parts. 

On one hand it is a very easy read and on the other hand, the further I got into it, the more I did feel convicted about things and feel like I needed time to process through what she was saying.  

Here is a quote from the book:

“Sometimes the best way to bring good news to the poor is to bring actual good news to the poor. It appears a good way to bring relief to the oppressed is to bring real relief to the oppressed. It's almost like Jesus meant what He said. When you're desperate, usually the best news you can receive is food, water, shelter. These provisions communicate God's presence infinitely more than a tract or Christian performance in the local park. They convey, "God loves you so dearly, He sent people to your rescue.” 
― Jen Hatmaker7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess

You see, Jen wasn't just saying "think nice thoughts about this stuff" she is pointing out how much our actions *really* do count!

I really do believe this and so the tricky part is figuring out what actions to spend your time and energy on.  

That is what I am in the middle of processing through and plan to be talking about on the old blog these 31 days.  

If you are coming over from Nesting Place, welcome!  I would love for you to "introduce" yourself.

Thanks!  

Kelly

No comments: