Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Travel Tuesdays - Chicago

I have two friends making trips to Chicago in the near future and digging out my guidebooks for them, etc. has made me excited about Chicago all over again.

If you've never been I would definitely recommend a trip at some point.


I love this fun Chicago sign. It is great for photo ops!


Here are some fun things to do in Chicago:

The Shedd Aquarium - beluga whales, poisonous dart frogs, all sorts of fish, penguins . . . it is a beautiful and stunning environment to spend some time in. Especially if you go to Chicago when it's cold, it's a great place to stay out of the weather. Last time I went I found out via a little internet research that teachers get in free to the aquarium everyday with their school id! How cool is that?

Filene's Basement for bargain hunting fun

fun & funky shops on Armitage Ave.

Paper Source - I could spend hours in this store

Garrett Popcorn Shop - I couldn't believe the line out the door but when we made it to the front of the tiny establishment, ordered our brown paper bags of popcorn and began munching, I could understand. wow.

Marshall's - believe it or not I would spend time on vacation shopping at Marshall's. :)
I'm partial to the one on State Street and I have found really great stuff there at great prices.

H&M - course I love this in any city that has one. :)

foodlife in the Water Tower Mall - first the fountains that greet you as you walk in the doors off Michigan Ave are just fun. Take the escalators up, up, up and you'll find yourself at the food court. This isn't just any old mall food court. You get a card when you go in and then can visit any of the MANY food stations with all different sorts of things to try. They swipe your card when you leave to see what all you've gotten and then you pay.

The Bongo Room for breakfast. Let me just say chocolate tower of French toast.

And there's so much more that I've never even done yet that I'd like to do and see:

Navy Pier
Rockefeller Memorial Chapel
CB2 - an off shoot of Crate and Barrel



photo: me in front of the river

What are your favorite things in Chicago? Have you been to any of the places that I haven't yet?

8 comments:

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

The original Marshall Fields, although I think that it's no longer Marshall Fields {sad}. There was the most wonderful candy shop on the basement level and I love to stock up on Frango mints there.

Stephanie said...

I love Chicago! I've been every summer the last 3 years and I hate to miss it this year. To me, a trip isn't complete to Chicago without going to the Grand Lux cafe. Some of the best food I've ever had is there and of course, Giadanos (Chicago pizza) is a must stop as well. There are several located in the downtown area. I like restaurants...can you tell!? :)

Anonymous said...

Kelly! We have a picture of me or maybe it's of both of us in the exact same place you are on the river. I'll have to dig it out. I loved Gino's East and Giordana's was good but not as good as G.E. We loved Buckingham Fountain by day and night! ~ Renae

Karen said...

This brought back great memories of our trip girl trip to Chicago and of Jenny and my trip to IRA. I love that food mall! Even when you are so tired from shopping you can barely put one foot in front of the other.

Jacquie said...

We loved the Field Museum. Also on Navy Pier there is a cool stained glass museum, we found it by accident and loved it. We also loved eating yummy pizza at Gino's.

I was really bummed because when we were there it was November and we went and saw The Christmas Carol (which was great) and on the way back we stopped at the Chicago sign to take a picture and it was turned off! So sad!

Anonymous said...

The way you have talked up Chicago I am trying to get our group to go there this summer.
Donna

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for our trip! Keep the comments flowing!!! ~Julie

Free Art Printables said...

You have a ton of fab things listed! IF you ever want to get out of the city and into the burb's there are are ton of great things there too!! Navy pier is fun. I love the art institute as well.